My Favorite Food Group Was Chocolate

Chocolate bar

Do you know what my favorite food group was when I was obese?

Chocolate.

Seriously. I do not think there were more than a handful of days when I was fighting with my weight where I did not have a good amount of chocolate. Brownies, chocolate candy, cookies with chocolate, chocolate milk shakes, chocolate chips… Well, you get the picture.

On the other hand. My very least favorite groups of foods were vegetables. I patted myself on the back if I had some peas, corn, or green beans once or twice a week.

I avoided these foods when I was obese because I thought I hated them or didn’t see where they were worth eating:

Yogurt, plain or sweetened

Most vegetables, including asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Brown rice and whole wheat anything

Roasted or baked chicken (If it wasn’t fried, why eat it?)

Cheese (unless it was sprinkled liberally on pizza or nachos)

Nuts and seeds (I made an exception however for peanut M&M’s)

In the beginning of my weight loss efforts, my main concern was the number on the scale. Right or wrong, that’s how it was. I was quite a ways into losing 150 pounds before I really began to think about how I was going to keep off the weight if I ever lost it all. After all, I had never lost more than 20 or 30 pounds before so long-term maintenance really hadn’t been an issue.

Even though the phrase “lifestyle change” wasn’t thrown around like it is now, I intuitively understood that that was what needed to happen. It was not just about losing pounds, but the process was also about living healthier forever.

I began to understand that I couldn’t avoid chocolate while dieting and then go right back into the habit of eating chocolate every day as soon as the scale hit the “magic number” (whatever that was). I began to understand that I needed to shift my thinking and learn to embrace some of those foods I thought I hated because many of those foods were healthy for life.

In the beginning, I modified recipes we liked in order to make them healthier, lower in fat and calories, but still tasty. I added more vegetables to my grocery list and tried some of those foods I thought I hated.

Because it took me over a year to lose 150 pounds, by the time I got to my healthy weight, I was on my way to making permanent lifestyle changes. Honestly though, there was still a lot of room for improvement.

I find it interesting and encouraging that year after year in weight maintenance, I am still tweaking our diet, trying new recipes, and expanding our food likes.

I just tried Brussels sprouts last year, thanks to help from my Facebook friends, and really liked them. Now we have them frequently.

bowl brussel sprouts

And like I shared on Monday, I gave up diet drinks and now avoid artificial sweeteners.

Another example of how my tastes have changed is learning to like Greek yogurt. The first time I had that stuff I thought I was going to gag. But after a few more attempts, I discovered it wasn’t terrible, and then I actually liked it. That experience reminded me of introducing my kids to new foods. At first they hated them, but eventually they liked most of them.

I’m curious to know whether your attitude toward certain foods has changed and whether you feel as though your tastes have changed as well? Diane

22 thoughts on “My Favorite Food Group Was Chocolate

1. Karen@WaistingTime says:

Yes! I think about this often and had always planned to blog about it, but, well, that isn’t happening any time soon.

Some examples for me: dense grainy bread and dark chocolate over white bread and milk chocolate. LOVE sweet potatoes and never even tried them until a few years ago. Kale!! Coincidentally, I tried brussel sprouts a year or so ago and was disappointed that I didn’t like them but have since had them prepared other ways and am “okay” with them. Not my favorite but okay.

2. Gigi says:

I admire your willingness to be so adventurous with all those new foods. I’m starting to tip-toe through some as well. Right now, I’m focusing on beating the sugar beast – or at least keeping it to a bare minimum. Today is day 3 and my knuckles are still bright white. (Chocolate is also a favorite food group of mine!)

3. Jane at Keeping the Pounds off says:

Chocolate isn’t a food group? I suppose the next thing you are going to tell me is that the Easter Bunny does not bring chocolate and that Christmas still happens without chocolate filled stockings. I think “Spoiler Alert” warning should have been at the top of your post! LOL

4. Marc says:

When I was a teenager I worked for a short time as a hamburger cook at a Frosty Top Root Beer drive-in. There was a friend’s Dad that was obese. His father would not eat vegetables, and his mother would make two dinner meals. One for the family that included vegetables and a separate one for his Dad. His Dad wouldn’t even sit at the table during the meal because he didn’t want to look his children eating the vegetables. Anyway…this friends Dad was known as the Coke Man. As in Coca-Cola. He would wear dark sunglasses and drive up to where I worked and order four large cokes. He would drive away and drink his cokes and a couple hours later come back and order more four large cokes. He died in his 50’s from complications of diabetes. I’ve never been a big fan of Coke. It always made me think of this man and his coke habit.

5. HappinessSavouredHot says:

When you’re used to eating “Mickey Mouse” kinds of foods (i.e. filled or covered with fat, salt and sugar), everything else looks bland. But with time, you learn to appreciate fresh, light, healthy stuff. 🙂

The downside is that your body now sends you signals when you eat junk. I used to be able to have a fast food combo without any after effects; now it makes me feel sick. But you know what? That’s a good thing! My body is talking to me! And I better listen! 🙂

6. Bitch on a Diet says:

My tastes have definitely changed. We’ve made a big effort to do more clean eating this year. Sometimes we’ll still have a frozen pizza, but it is way less often than it used to be. Brussel sprouts is also one of the new vegetables I’ve tried. I’ve also tried Kombucha but wasn’t much of a fan. I like spaghetti squash, and acorn squash and butternut squash. But my favorites are broccolli and cauliflower. Cauliflower is so versatile, I like to chop it in the food processor and use it as a substitute for rice. Goes great with curry!

7. Sandi says:

My tastes have definitely changed. I hated carrots but now eat bags of them. My evening snack is Greek yogurt with blueberries. We started gardening a few years ago so we could have fresh veggies without pesticides. It really helps to learn different ways to cook veggies. I roast them a lot now and the kids will even eat them that way.

8. carrilu says:

MMmmmmmm brussel sprouts, we broil them until crispy and the whole family loves them! Yes, trying new foods to replace less healthy ones has been beneficial in so many ways. This year we’ve added greek yogurt, kale “chips”, baby kale salads,whole wheat pasta and more soups for dinner made with homemade stock (learned here:)).

9. Melissa says:

I’ve learned to like greek yogurt as well. My Mom taught me that if you buy plain and sweeten it yourself, it ends up being cheaper. I still buy the flavored stuff because it’s easier. However, when I buy plain I sweeten it with a teaspoon of honey and sprinkle it with cinnamon. I think it’s too tart and strange all by itself.

10. PlumPetals says:

I’ve always liked eating all kinds of foods, and vegetables were in fact my favorite, even when I was overweight. However, the way that my foods were prepared was my downfall (type/quantity of oil, cheese, fried etc). Plus sugar — I had (have) such a sweet tooth – and mindless munching. These are things I’m still working on controlling.

11. Steven says:

Your picture title made me laugh. It reminded me of what Buddy from Elf said: “We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.” I sometimes think that it’s not only elves who try to stick to this!

12. Joe says:

For Me I avoided all vegetables (unless they were on a pizza or burger). I don’t think my tastes have changed I think it was more about learning how to prepare them. I discovered I can’t stand steamed vegetables but I love roasted veggies. So almost every night for dinner I have roasted veggies for my side.

13. Richard says:

It is amazing how your tastes can change. I never enjoyed onions, just recently I tried some in a salad and wow they are amazing. I look at eating more veggies but more importantly how I can keep them interesting. It’s great to BBQ, steam or fry (I like using coconut oil).
    Oh and I do eat a little chocolate from time to time, gotta live right.

14. Cheryl says:

I always liked veggies, just have to exclude all the cheese, sauces and frying in oils. Now I either eat them raw with a simply low sugar/salt dip, or steam. My husband does a great job with asparagus, eggplant and zucchini on the BBQ 🙂

15. Amy D says:

Chocolate is one of my old favorites too. I always had it bad for m&m’s (and milky ways). Have you noticed how in certain places they are now promoting chocolate as health food, especially dark chocolate. High in anti-oxidants etc. I now limit it but still love it…

16. Cat B says:

Diane, your post always speak to me, but this one screams my name while jumping up and down and shaking pom poms. I have days where I’ve eaten so much chocolate nothing else tastes good. At all. I completely get that the tastes change with time, but how do you and other successful life-changers make that leap, and how long does it suck for? Apologies to anyone that might take a look, my blog isn’t even all that current, because I have been posting about not succeeding for a few years now. At this point I’d like to resume posting when I have more positive progress to report. You are truly an inspiration, and I’d love to learn how you sparked the very start, and kept up with it long enough to make progress and get that first bit of positive feedback. Thanks. Cat

17. blackhuff says:

My tastes have definitely changed over the time. I think it changes because you as individual changes when you change your goal. If you decide to tone, you will change your eating habits, bodybuilders change their eating habits etc.

18. Jessica Festa says:

I think one thing people need to consider is the difference in taste and quality between frozen vegetables and truly fresh garden vegetables. For me personally that’s what makes the difference. I’ve sampled tomatoes straight from a farmer’s garden that I would willingly substitute for dessert. Hard to believe, but true.

19. Anne @ Domesblissity says:

I don’t think I’ve had a problem with vegetables or Greek yoghurt or any of those things. My question is what was your attitude to chocolate while you were ‘dieting’ or losing the weight and what is it like now? My problem is I still love it and as soon as I say to myself I can’t have it, I’ll gouge a whole block or the same if I say only have 4 squares. I just can’t. Thanks for your advice.

Anne

• Diane Carbonell says:

I put myself on a chocolate moratorium when I first started losing weight for about 6 weeks or so. After that I had it occasionally, in very small quantities. I’ve never been one that was very good about total deprivation. I still have chocolate on occasion and now can enjoy it guilt free because I know it fits in with my lifestyle.