What Food Does Not Darken Your Door Any Longer?

Here is a quick Friday question since my last two posts have been on pretty heavy topics such as struggles in weight loss and 7 habits of successful losers.

When I looked like this, I had very few foods that were off limits.

Swinging

Some foods that rarely darkened my door when I weighed 305 pounds were foods like Brussels sprouts, spinach, cauliflower, fish, and oatmeal. I walked right past them in the grocery store, never thought to cook with them, and of course never ordered them at restaurants. After all, why order a salad with spinach leaves when I could have French fries with my fried Monte Cristo sandwich???

As I lost weight, my list of foods that never darkened my door, passed through my lips, or got ordered at a restaurant shifted.

At first the list of foods I gave up were foods such as fried chicken, Pop Tarts, Little Debbie Snack Cakes, Oreo cereal, Cool Whip, and frozen pie. (There were more but that gives you an idea of what I stopped eating. 🙂 ) Over time I gave up more and more processed foods, and never looked back. And more importantly, I do not miss those foods nor do I want them.

So here’s my question to you on this Friday:

What food, or foods, have you put a stop to eating completely? And more importantly, is your choice for the long term or is it just a temporary choice to help you control cravings while losing weight? Diane

25 thoughts on “What Food Does Not Darken Your Door Any Longer?

1. Elizabeth says:

My list is similar with the processed junk food: no snack cakes, frozen or bakery desserts ( I do still have birthday cake), and I just have to pass on boxed crackers/snack mix. I just can’t eat them because if I start then it leads to more bad behavior.

Just say no to the processed junk food 🙂

2. Margaret says:

There are many foods I no longer eat on a regular basis, Ice cream is probably the biggest one with fast food a close second. My choice is long term and I don’t plan inn adding either back in.

3. happinesssavouredhot says:

I really like the equation between that picture of you and the fact that very few foods were off limits for you back then. We sometimes feel entitled to eat anything that’s sold as food. We think avoiding so many foods is a huge sacrifice, and borders on “extreme eating”. But the truth is, those unhealthy foods are NOT food!

I have pretty much eliminated all dessert, including fruit.. I DO eat fruit, but not after a meal. I keep it for snacks. I have eliminated all caloric drinks including fruit juice, that nobody needs anyways (much more vitamins and fiber to be found in fresh produce). That also means I drink my coffee black, and only have wine about once a month.

I have added a lot of vegetables and sources of lean protein.

• Babbalou says:

I wish I could be this disciplined…maybe I’ll get there some day! I can’t eat wheat and have tried to eliminate eggs, dairy, peanuts, corn (I don’t eat soy). I couldn’t figure out what to eat, I lasted 4 days.

4. Tanya says:

I gave up my love for ice cream of which i could not end a day without. In addition to that i successfully managed to divert my daily junk food regime to a nutritious food diet plan that has positively changed my life. Previously i loved sausages and dripping bacon strips for breakfast but now i have totally embraced a healthy breakfast schedule, the ‘Popeye Breakfast’ which has greatly assisted me to cut off weight, check out

5. KCLAnderson (Karen) says:

There are lots of foods I used to crave/eat/binge on that I no longer buy, but it’s not because I am white-knuckling it and wouldn’t be able to control myself if I did buy them…it’s that I have gotten to the point where those foods no longer taste good, nor do I have the urge to eat them. And for me…that is the true victory. My list is similar to yours…and includes stuff like Goldfish crackers, Pop-Tarts, and sugary peanut-buttery cereals…

6. Linda says:

Hi Diane!
    Well the list of foods that no longer darken my door is a long list! Mostly fish (no red meat and small amount of chicken), veggies, fruit and oats are my choices now with a small amount of dairy. This is the plan that will be for life and that is more than fine with me to stay healthy!

7. PlumPetals says:

Refined grains and starches is the main category of foods that I’ve given up permanently. No more rice, pasta, white bread, or potatoes. Of course the desserts have been greatly reduced but I give in to my sweet tooth occasionally. I need to work on that!

8. Kim says:

I don’t really have any foods that I have completely cut out – I do better with just moderating things. Although I can’t remember the last time I have had a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart (which I love!).

9. Bonnie says:

I had to ponder this one a bit. There are many foods I no longer buy and bring into the house; cookies, potato chips, bottled Starbucks drinks, for example, though I find myself eating them if available when away from home. I still struggle with where and when I eat – disconnecting eating from sitting and reading a book or working on the computer are habits I’m trying to break.

10. Maggie says:

Chocolate chips used to always be a staple in my pantry. I never ate them plain, but there was always potential to make something bad for me by having a bag in the house (cookies, chocolate chip pancakes or muffins, etc.). Always having a bag on hand enabled me to bake and eat these treats whenever I got the urge. For the last several years I have only bought chocolate chips if I had a specific reason to use them, which is usually for a special occaison or charity bake sale.

11. Bitch on a Diet says:

So I have never heard the term “darken my door” and when I read the headline I thought perhaps it meant something about foods that didn’t sit well with your stomach…haha

12. Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady says:

You are one discipline lady to give up fried chicken. I don’t eat sweets like that, don’t like chocolate so that helps. If I were trying to lose, I would probably need to nix the frequency of fried chicken, hot wings, and pizza. I honestly don’t eat it enough to cause a problem though.

13. Vicki L. Hodges says:

I’m just curious how it is that you no longer even want those foods. Not even occasionally? Does your body totally decide it doesn’t want or need them? Or is it just pure willpower? Thanks.

14. Amy says:

I’ve only been at it for a week, but I’ve stopped with almost all soda, snack cakes, extreme amounts of cereal and ice cream, etc. Today, I allowed myself a candy bar because I’ve done so well all week (20 pounds gone in week one) and I had the extra room in my calories and fat today. Now, I feel gross and bloated and the candy bar wasn’t even that great. I think I’ll stick to my sherbet with a tablespoon of chocolate syrup when I want a sweet treat from now on!

15. Mitch Parker says:

In the past, I’m a chocolate addict. I really love munching these sweet goodies. Now, I stopped eating it since I need to lose a lot of weight. I’m still struggling to fight my chocolate cravings.

16. jeanette says:

Its been nearly 4 years since I have had a slice of pizza, a hamburger, fries, potato chips, pasta, mashed poatatoes, soda, candy bars, and… gosh the list goes on and on.
    I don’t miss it and have found better eating very fulfilling, its all what you get use to really. I love the way I feel and the way I look and all the energy I have and wouldn’t trade it for anything.

17. Jenea Mason says:

Oh boy this topic is dear to my heart! There are a TON of food that I don’t eat anymore that I used to eat on a semi regular basis. For instance, fried food of ANY kind is a no go as well as ice cream, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, SODA POP (even though it’s not technically a food I still think it deserves a mention, fries, chips, and lastly any food that I can go to a drive thru and get. Sometimes it’s very hard to give up that last one. I was addicted to drive thru’s and I’m pretty sure the people at Taco Bell knew me by name and had my order ready before I even ordered it. It’s by far been the hardest to give up but it’s also the best decision I’ve ever made for myself.

18. Maxine says:

Mine is indian food. I still remember the taste and I know it taste so good but I chose many years ago that it was not the healthiest option for me. I feel so much better with my new eating habits but still miss the old me.