Do You Take Your Measurements Regularly?

Diane Carbonell on waist measurements

One of the top 10 search terms for my blog lately has been “What Should My Waist Size Be?” The above is a picture of me yesterday taking my own measurements after a fast walk.

I did a post awhile ago on waist size and still get people clicking over to read it. There is a lot of information about the importance of reducing belly fat because of the health risks associated with higher amounts of abdominal fat.

Waist size, hip size, arm size, thigh size, chest size, and even wrist size change as you lose weight and get more fit. Honestly, I was shocked at how my numbers changed as I lost weight. Even my wedding rings fit once more after I lost weight.

I wish that I had measured more frequently as I lost weight because seeing the numbers drop from waaaay to high to normal measurements was very encouraging. In case you didn’t remember or haven’t read my book, at my highest weight my waist size was well above 60 inches. How did I know? Because a standard 60 inch tape measure wouldn’t even come close to fitting around my hips.

You can see from this picture below that I carried a lot of weight around my hips. Well, the weight was everywhere but you get the idea. 🙂

Diane Carbonell pushing child on swing.

The benefits of measuring yourself as you lose weight are mainly psychological as you do not need to measure yourself in order to lose weight, but you may give your weight loss efforts a boost if you do, especially if you are dealing with a plateau. Sometimes your body shrinks while the scale stays the same. I’ve seen that happen a lot.

Although I could tell from the way my stretchy pants fit that I was getting smaller in the hips and waist, it was very exciting to be able to fit the measuring tape around my hips and see a number under 50 inches.

In the years since I lost half of myself I make a deliberate effort to take my measurements regularly. It not only keeps me in touch with my body but also gives me a heads up if things change.

I’d encourage you to measure everything you can think of and keep those measurements in a safe place. Update them often as you continue on your journey.

Have you measured yourself along the way? What benefits do you see to measuring regularly? Diane

16 thoughts on “Do You Take Your Measurements Regularly?

1. blackhuff says:

I find that measuring yourself on a 3 month basis helps in determining whether you are losing body fat or not because sometimes the scale can stand still to one’s frustration but actually you are losing body fat which you won’t know unless you take measurements of yourself.
    Frequency: No more than once in every 3 months. Your body takes time to show body fat loss.

2. evilcyber says:

As a male workout nut, I of course only take the most important measurement of them all: the biceps 😉

Seriously, when it comes to body weight, I regularly check with the bathroom scale.

3. Sandi says:

I wasn’t good about taking measurements while losing, I just relied on the scale. I lost almost a whole shoe size. I wonder if it was actually fat or just that my feet were constantly swelling from the weight.

4. Hope K says:

That’s such a great idea, Diane! I honestly have not thought about measuring myself lately, although, as Patrick referred to, I have noticed my jeans are getting bigger. I tend to gain around the middle, which is the worst place to gain it, I know, so I’ve always been afraid of measuring my waist. But now that I am 19 pounds lighter (so happy!!!), I think I will start on that. I hope this doesn’t sound mean because I don’t intend it to, but knowing that you once had a waist that size makes me feel a little more confident about measuring my own. Thank you for sharing!

You are a real inspiration, and you give great tips. 🙂

5. samiyah says:

Diane thank you for this. There are many time that I see no change on the scale but I can feel in my clothes there are changes. I need to make this apart of my journey. Because sometimes seeing no “change” on the scale can be depressing.

6. JenB says:

I was encouraged to take my measurements before starting the 30 Day Shred, so I did (before and after, yes there was some change). I know there are articles and a youtube how to on taking measurements, I do wonder if I’m doing it right. It seems like I can shift, or breathe differently and it changes an inch right then and there …

7. jeanette says:

No Diane I have never measured. I have always been a scale watcher since starting and if I put on a few poundslike I did this vacation, then of course I can tell in the way my clothes fit . I am very careful to cut back to stay in my safety 5 pounds that I float within.

8. Mary Ellen Quigley says:

I used to measure myself regularly, but I stopped after a while. I’m not sure why I got out of the habit. It is a great motivator though, especially when the scale doesn’t move, but your measurements do.

9. Becca says:

I don’t measure myself except for weight and sometimes I wish I could get myself to start. I have been exercising more to the point of feeling my muscles get a little bit bigger, so I know that is contributing to my weight plateauing. Thankfully I keep fitting into smaller clothes than what I used to wear so I know something good is happening 🙂

10. Megan says:

I have dropped one clothing size despite little movement on the scale. Now I do not let myself focus on the number on the scale but on how my clothes fit and my measurements. As long as they keep heading down, I’m happy.

11. PlumPetals says:

I measure myself once a month and have been really pleased with the results, especially after I started weight lifting. I’m having a really difficult time losing inches around my waist, but I’m working on it!