The End of Summer Is a Terrific Time to Reset

We started back to school last week and I have to admit that I wasn’t quite ready for summer to end. And you can probably tell from the terribly excited look on my two youngest son’s faces that they were not jumping up and down either!

little boys doing school

I have enjoyed watching the garden growing, seeing the kids swimming, visiting good friends, and hanging out doing nothing all summer long.

On a side note, here is one of our watermelons I grew. It was small but tasty! Sadly some bugs got several of ours before I could pick the melons. That’s the downside of organic gardening I suppose.

watermelon from garden

These are just a few of our tomatoes that I grew this year. I planted 16 plants, which my son told me was too many, but I didn’t listen. πŸ™‚

tomatoes in sink

Enough of gardening!

A lot of people treat summer as a time to take a small break from their weight loss efforts or just slack off a bit when it comes to tracking their food, exercising, or eating right. I know I used to do that. After all, summer was for fun and losing weight was work.

No matter what attitude you have about summer and weight loss, the coming of fall is a good time to set some new goals for yourself and recommit to shedding excess pounds and getting more fit.

Let’s call it a Reset.

I like the term reset because it is a positive term. When I do weight loss coaching, we often talk about a reset week or sometimes a reset month. The value of resetting your weight loss and fitness goals is twofold.

First, you have a chance to reevaluate what was working and not working with your weight loss efforts and secondly, you have a chance to start fresh or add new goals into your weight loss plan.Β It’s kinda like hitting the reset button on your computer. It starts fresh but doesn’t lose your files in the process. (Well, that’s the general idea anyway.)

When you think about resetting your weight loss efforts, here are a few things to consider:

• What has worked for you in the past but doesn’t feel as effective now?
  • Have you been diligent with your exercise plans?
  • Do you feel as though you need to reset your commitment to eating a more natural diet?
  • Is there an area of your weight loss plan that you have been slacking on?

I had to “reset” my mind and my actions a few different times during my final weight loss efforts. Resetting worked for me because I used that time as a way to recommit to my plan and reaffirm that I was worth all the effort it took to lose weight. Because after all, weight loss is hard work!

Have you ever done a “reset” of your goals or “reset” your weight loss efforts? Does it work?Β Diane

20 thoughts on “The End of Summer Is a Terrific Time to Reset

1. Kyra says:

Yes, I have reset many times (I suppose I’m in the middle of a reset now.) I actually find it easier to work on my plan over the summer, and it’s the end of the year holidays that prove the biggest challenge for me. The festive mood and holiday after holiday throws everything into a tail spin unless I’m very careful! πŸ™‚

2. Lori says:

Yes, I need a reset. So far though I have been going pretty good. I was looking at a photo of me and my daughter when she was 3. I was thinking- Gosh wouldnt it be nice if I could post this pic on my website as a before photo with a new me after photo. Thank you for your words and inspiration.

3. Kim says:

I agree – the end of summer, start of the school year is my favorite time to reset (on all goals) – I actually prefer using that starting point more than Jan. 1.

4. Mona says:

I too need a reset. I’ve done okay this summer but not terrifically.

I like the way you make it positive rather than negative. That’s always a good thing in my book. πŸ™‚

5. Hope K says:

I think resetting is a great idea. I hit a plateau at about 12 pounds, and I reset (though I didn’t know that term yet. Now I’m plateauing at 19 pounds, and I really need to do a reset. However, I have received some very bad news and it’s making everything hard, including prioritizing my weight loss. I just gave myself a day to mourn, and now I’m determined to have a better attitude and make it to the gym today. Anyway, I digress. I need to reset, and I will get to it.

6. Laura says:

Resetting works! I’ve had to reset a lot but never put a term to it.

I believe that reevaluating what works/not is an important step because then we can see what will likely work when we finally get to goal.

For me, I found that Paleo did not work but a more mindful, intuitive approach did. For me (and this is just me) I reset my diet back to eating a balanced diet that wasn’t so restrictive. I began losing again and feel more in balance.

7. Mark Miller says:

Restart, reset, begin anew – they are all part of the process for me on this attempt to get the weight off. I like all the phrases and giving myself permission to just reset is good for me.

Great article – I’m sharing it with my wife.

8. Sharla says:

I needed to read this this morning. I’ve totally lost my way and need to reset.

Thanks for the encouragement – I’m headed off to write some things down right now.

9. Samantha says:

I’ve only got a few more pounds to lose but a reset is needed. I’ve been a bit complacent and needed a kick in the pants to get things going again.

The only downside I see is when people keep resetting but never actually move forward. You know?

10. Marc says:

Since I started blogging about this journey, I’ve probably reset at least a half dozen times. It happens when I’d find out whatever I was doing wasn’t yielding results, or apathy would sink in towards accomplishing goals.

11. That guy... says:

In the ebb and flow of fitness endeavors, for the 6 or 8 weeks post Labor Day, is historically when my clients have their best success in weight loss. I have written about this before.

The kids are back in school. Vacation indulgences are over, and the holidays are far enough away that they aren’t a distraction.

This is the BEST opportunity most will have for a fresh reset…

12. C Nave says:

Diane- PLEASE MORE PODCASTS!!

I listen to them in a loop while doing housework to refresh my mind when the going gets tough.

As far as a reset- I love fresh beginnings. The first of the month is always a big one for me. Evaluate where I was last month, what I got done- what I WISH I had done- write it all down and start with a clean slate. Keeps me sane.

13. L says:

I love the idea of a RESET. I will be thinking about that as I head into another month of monitoring, moving, mentally exercising my mind, and orchestrating any options I might have available to me that would propel me toward greater weight loss. It’s all about getting fit, for me, and keeping those blood sugar levels low. AUGUST ACTION revealed a lot to me, including how closely linked together are my moods and my foods. Gotta watch those two going forward. Thanks, Diane, for another great post. Have a wonderful weekend!

14. Tanvee says:

I do small resets every month or two, so every month i look at how much effort i put in, what worked, what i can improve…and then I make a new plan for the next month πŸ™‚

15. PlumPetals says:

I have mixed feelings about getting back into the classroom too, but I can’t wait to get back into a regular schedule. I will definitely be ‘resetting’. I’ve had a wonderful summer break and now I’m ready to get back to work πŸ™‚