Diana Nyad and the Value of Never Giving Up

Diana Nyad Find a Way

All I could say was, “Wow,” when I read the news that Diana Nyad had successfully completed the 110-mile swim from Cuba to Key West, Florida.

Then when I watched her interview on the CBS website and read this quote, I was inspired once again.

She said her mantra through the swim was “Find a Way.”

She has tried four other times to swim the distance. She battled jellyfish stings so bad she couldn’t speak, potential shark attacks, severe weather conditions, and unimaginable physical challenges. In spite of all these, she succeeded at the age of 64.

She never, ever gave up on her dreams in spite of getting older, in spite of adverse conditions, and in spite of prior failures.

Can’t we all identify with her tenacity a little bit in our own lives? (Even if our successes aren’t as epic.) Haven’t there been times when people told you things couldn’t be done and you did them anyway? Haven’t you faced difficulties head on and pushed through in spite of difficulties.

I know I have and my successes were not just in the weight loss realm.

I’d encourage you to use Diana Nyad’s epic journey as an encouragement to you in whatever challenges you are facing. Don’t let your age, your finances, your emotions, or the negative influences of other people to stand in your way.

Are you as inspired as I was with her success? Do you ever think about what you can accomplish in your life if you never give up? Diane

15 thoughts on “Diana Nyad and the Value of Never Giving Up

1. Madijo says:

That is an amazing accomplishment. It both humbles, and encourages me to continue, even when life sets up a couple of road blocks. Thanks for the great post as usual!

2. Kyra says:

I think she’s amazing. I battled my way through a marathon. That’s my epic achievement I’ll be telling my great-great-grandchildren about! LOL It took everything I had, and then some. Persistence wins out!

3. Linda says:

What a great post Diane! I love it and especially your last sentence:

“Don’t let your age, your finances, your emotions, or the negative influences of other people to stand in your way.”

This is so true to all of us! 🙂

4. Hope K says:

What she did is truly admirable. I hope that I am in shape like that at her age. I’m working on it — spent a grueling session at the gym yesterday. I felt like I was sweating tears because I’ve experienced a loss recently.

I’m sure that she worked on her swimming every day, or close to it. I’ve learned that accomplishing is simply the act of doing what you set out to do every day, no matter what. Over time, you get better, go faster. I read somewhere that it takes 10,000 hours to develop a talent.

I think my greatest accomplishment is my writing. I remember wanting to be a writer when I was a kid. Over the years I’ve written at least 10,000 hours, probably more. I know I’m not the best in the world, but I also know that any time someone needs a resume, letter, or paper edited, I’m the first person they call. 🙂

5. Kim says:

I feel like you wrote this post for me today – I needed to hear those words!!!
    Find a way!!! Gonna repeat over and over!!!
    Thank you!!!!

That truly is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Having success in my weight loss journey and getting ready to run my first half marathon in two weeks is more than I ever dreamed I could accomplish in my life.

7. Janis says:

Unable to do it at 28, she did it at 64. That’s so cool. I’m reminded of a line from “The Hobbit” where the dragon talks about his earlier days and says something like, “Then I was young and weak. Now I am old and strong, strong, strong!” 🙂