My Weekend Experience Proves Weight Loss is Worth It

Over this past weekend, I shared this picture on my Facebook page:

Running a 5K with Family

This is a picture of my oldest daughter and I right after we ran a 5K together this past Saturday morning.

Earlier in the week she texted me and said that her office was having a 5K to raise money for charity and wondered if I might want to run it with her. I thought about it for a minute and texted her back. “Sure! Let’s go for it.”

I haven’t done a lot of running since I hurt my knee last year, but had speed walked regularly. (In case you are wondering, walking does work for weight loss and weight maintenance.) I generally walk about 3 to 3.5 miles every morning, so I knew the distance wouldn’t be a big deal.

That morning was perfect. It was cool but not cold. The sky was blue and about 35 people turned out for the 5K.

She and I lined up at the starting line in the middle of the pack because we knew we would go slowly – or so we thought! I don’t know if it was the combination or the weather or us encouraging each other, but we ran our fastest time. I was right at 34 minutes and she was a few seconds behind. In fact, when we got to the finish line, she said – “Go ahead, mom and go first.”

That worked out well because it turned out that she and I finished 1st and 2nd for women runners. That meant that I got the “gold” metal and she got the “silver.” Β πŸ™‚

But more important than a medal was the fact that we did it at all.

You see, when she was six-years-old, I couldn’t help her learn to ride her bike because I was too heavy to run alongside her to keep her from falling over. I remember trying, but almost passing out from exhaustion. Seriously.

All the hard work of losing weight, all the hard work of keeping the weight off, and all the hard work of staying in shape is 100 percent worth it for moments like this.

To be able to run a 5K on the spur of the moment, to take a hike in the state park whenever we have the time, or to have enough energy to keep up with my seven kids is a gift I give myself and my family. An absolute gift.

I know that if I had not changed my lifestyle I would not be where I am today. I could have been in a wheelchair and unable to walk, I could be suffering from chronic diseases influenced by obesity, or may not even be here.

It is hard to know for sure, but I do know one thing.

If you are on the fence about taking the steps necessary to get to a healthy weight and stay there, don’t hesitate one minute longer. It doesn’t matter that Thanksgiving is in a few weeks or Christmas is in 7 weeks. What matters is getting healthy.

Do you ever think about what your life can be like when you get to a healthy weight? Or if you are there already, isn’t the hard work worth it?Β Diane

21 thoughts on “My Weekend Experience Proves Weight Loss is Worth It

1. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

I love that you often point out that walking works for weight loss and maintenance and that if you walk fast a lot, it also allows you to run a 5 k once in a while! I don’t run anymore because of my ankle but walk every day no matter what. It works! πŸ™‚

2. Marc says:

I am leaner and stronger than I’ve been in years. Unfortunately my adult children are not. Only 1 of the 4 would be able to run a 5k with me (and keep up) if we signed up for one.

3. Kim says:

What a great way to spend time with your daughter and a great testament to the fact that weight loss really is worth the hard work!!!
    Congrats on the 1-2 finish!!

4. L says:

Wow, you two look radiant in this picture, and not the least bit overwhelmed. And look at those medals. Yay! You’re right, being able to do this with your daughter is a gift. A pure gift! Congrats!!

5. Kelly says:

I am four days into eating healthy again! I have done this before so I know it gets harder as time goes by. I thought about waiting until after Christmas but I am so sick of myself that I just could not afford to wait any longer. I lost 37 lbs in 2012 only to turn around and gain 31 back. The holidays will be hard but as long as I don’t bring home any left overs and keep the stuff out of my house, I should be ok.

I love to read your blog and it is the only one I currently read. I find that when I follow others that when they fail … I give myself the excuse to fail. Your a true inspiration.

6. LovesCatsinCA says:

I congratulate you on being able to run that 5K like that–and on your continued maintenance.

I shed weight initially because my blood pressure was off the charts (both upper and lower numbers were dangerously high) and I’ve been frustrated because my weight and blood pressure DO have a direct connection–and once I started perimenopause, my weight went up. I did use discipline including walking and watching what I eat to bring it down somewhat (my weight) but it remains around 10 pounds more than the low point I had originally lost to–and my blood pressure is in that “pre-hypertension” not so great range. Not like the level II hypertension 6 years and 23 pounds ago–but it’s still frustrating. The thing is, I don’t know if I can maintain that lower weight anymore even if I could figure out how to get there. As it is, I eat 1300-1600 calories a day depending on my activity level (I’m five feet tall) and I exercise regularly and eat my fruits and veggies….

I really can’t imagine eating less–especially permanently. When you posted about thinking about food when you were heavier, I actually could relate when I’m actually eating too little in an effort to take pounds off–I think about food all the time…. so right now I eat around the right amount to NOT obsess about food as much—I just think my metabolism must have shifted when my hormones started to wane when I was 46. I don’t particularly care that I’m not a size 2 anymore–I care about my blood pressure. It has stimulated me to think more in terms of stress control and listening to guided meditations and doing deep breathing, etc. though.

PS Walking DOES work…

Thanks for being an inspiration, Diane.

7. JenB says:

Well … running beside a bike while a child learns to ride is hard even if you aren’t overweight πŸ™‚ But it is good to be able to keep up with the kids regardless of what they are going. I coached my little one’s soccer team … I was surprised at how much I needed to move to do that.

I’ve done one 5k, and it was as a family. It was a lot of fun and I totally planned on doing one again, but have never gotten around to it.

You two did incredibly well! Bravo! Whether it is related to weight loss or not, fitness has its own bevy of rewards. I’m glad your knee held out for the run, too, that’s excellent news.

9. Hope K says:

Congratulations to you and your daughter. How lovely you both look. And it’s so nice that you pursue fitness as a family. I am looking forward to getting to my goal weight (halfway there!) so that I will be healthy and look good. I want my son to be proud of his mom. And I want to be able to say to those people who have bipolar disorder, take medicines for it, and feel like they are doomed to live a life of fat and stable or skinny and crazy: “I did it! You can do it, too!”

10. Meltdown entry level positions says:

Cultivated chicory leaves can be added to salads or sauted and served alone.
    If by venting you mean screaming, yelling, ranting
    or raving about your problems, feelings and emotions
    with anger, then no, venting is just not good.
    Skin that’s filled with cracks provides plenty of hiding places for bacteria,
    and when these colonies multiply, the scent may be less than appealing.