What Do You Want More? Choices in Weight Loss

It’s the New Year! I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday. We stayed home and had some family time which is always fun. Yesterday on the 1st, we had our annual Lego color wars contest where everyone in the family teams up (except me) and builds a Lego creation based on a single color. I am the judge. Of course, being a mom means that I can’t choose just one team as being the best, so everyone wins something!

Lego Color Wars

So that’s my update for weekend.

On a weight loss note, this post is a very important one that I hope you will consider sharing and passing along to people in your life who have set losing weight as a New Year’s resolution.

Weight loss is simple on the outside but complicated on the inside. It seems as though it should be simple to lose weight. Just eat less, move more and the scale will drop. If you follow that prescription then most times you will lose weight. The problems come when you throw in emotions, social situations, family issues, children’s needs, junk food availability, and even childhood memories.

It seems as though the deck is stacked against successful weight loss and in some ways it is. However, it is possible to lose weight but it all comes down to choices. As you think about finally losing weight this year, I want you to ask yourself this question over and over during the next few weeks as you get started or continue your weight loss journey.

What do I want more? “

Following are some scenarios where asking yourself that question can be the difference between staying on your diet and cheating. It can be the difference between continuing your diet and quitting. This one question can make a huge difference in your success.

Scenario Number 1

Grocery Stores and Food Snobbery

You are at the grocery store and walking through the aisles filling your cart with food. You have a menu, you have a list, you are committed. But then you happen to spy one of your favorite “non-weight loss” food items. For me it would have been peanut M&Ms or Oreos. For you it might be chips, Little Debbie snack cakes, or even soda.

Before you put that item in your cart as a “treat” for later, ask yourself the question. “What do I want more?” Do you want that food treat or do you want to finally fit into those old jeans? Do you want that food treat or do you want to get to a healthy weight?

Scenario Number 2

cake on a table

You are at your family’s house for a dinner or celebration and someone offers you a piece of cake on a beautiful plate. You already decided you were going to pass but now you are wavering as you look at your friendly relative’s eager face.

Ask yourself the question. “What do I want more?” Do you want to please her by taking the cake or do you want to stay firm on what you already decided to do? Do you want to eat 400 calories from cake or save those calories for healthier food?

Scenario Number 3

woman sitting couch

You are sitting home at night and everyone is either in bed or gone for the evening. Or, if you live alone, you are sitting down just relaxing. All of a sudden you have a craving for a food not on your diet. What do you do?

Ask yourself the question. “What do I want more?” Do you want to feel proud in the morning that you resisted the call of the tempting food or do you want to go to bed feeling guilty that you blew your diet on a food you didn’t really need and definitely did not plan on eating?

Scenario Number 4

Woman sleeping

Your alarm goes off in the morning and you wake with a start. In your fog of sleep you briefly wonder why in the world you set the alarm so early when you did not need to be anywhere for two more hours. Then you remember that you set your alarm early so you could get up and work out. Before you hit snooze and turn over for a few more minutes of sleep, ask yourself the question, “What do I want more?”

Do you want to go on and exercise so you can start your day on a positive note or are those few minutes of sleep more important? Remind yourself that part of getting your weight to a healthy level includes exercise and this was a day you had set aside to get it done.

Can you see where asking yourself this question can help you stay on track with your weight loss efforts? I want you to give it a try today, tomorrow, and next week. Asking yourself, “What do I want more?” keeps you focused on your goals, reminds yourself of why you are doing this, and gives you time to make a decision based on rationale rather than emotion or need.

Will you commit to trying this technique? Let me know your thoughts and be sure to email me and let me know how it is going. Diane

11 thoughts on “What Do You Want More? Choices in Weight Loss

1. Mark says:

I have to say that this is really good Diane. Thanks so much!

It’s so simple that I wonder why I never really thought to ask myself what I did want more? I think if I had I might have made some better choices in the past.

Onward to a new year that I will make it happen. And, by the way, awesome Lego creations.

2. Andrea says:

This is such a great concept and I am sharing it on Facebook and Twitter. i think that the concept of thinking what I want more is a good one and it will definitely make a difference.

I hope you and your family have a terrific year!

3. Laura says:

Every year I swear I’m going to lose weight but every year I end up slightly more than I was before. I know how to lose weight but get demotivated quickly. I’m going to try this technique! Maybe this will be my year.

4. Carole Lee says:

What do I want more? Great question. I realized over the holidays how many extra challenges there are within this weight loss challenge — you’ve outlined 3 common ones for me. I will definitely try this technique. Thanks.

5. Kathy says:

Great tool! I’m going to start asking myself this question when the social temptations creep up because that’s when I’m at my weakest!!!! Thanks Diane, I never miss one of your posts. Happy New Year to you.

6. carrilu says:

Thank you. I did well in some areas over the holidays but usually it was a “postponement” and I’d end up crumping later. Lot’s of dialogue went on in my head, visualizing how I wanted to look in spring etc… but I think this simple sentence would have served me better an quieted all of that chatter that added to the noise.

7. Pam says:

I will use this question over and over as I work to maintain (after losing the 10 lbs. I put on over the holidays) my 170-lb loss. It really never gets any easier so this reminder should help. Thanks Diane.

8. Mandy Cat says:

What a silly question. What I want is to eat that cake, sleep in, never work out AND maintain my current weight. Oh, I guess that really isn’t an option. Rats.

9. Eli Bush says:

Nice article Diane! The question is really helpful, it will always reminds yourself to go for it or strictly discipline yourself? Effective tool. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

10. Danae says:

This is a really great article ! I stumbled upon your blog 🙂 I feel that reading about weight loss and looking at people before and after pictures constantly ,keeps me motivated and on track . I have used this technique of asking myself what I want more before , and the only issue I found was that I wasn’t truely in it . I would ask my self what I really wanted more , but found myself still choosing the cheat. It is important to first really reflect with your self and get your goals and priorities straight . If you are not fully dedicated to your plan then you may find yourself ,like I did, choosing the cheat .

11. susan davis says:

This reminds me of my 3 year old granddaughter. When asked if she wanted a ‘little bit’ she replied. Aunt Jessica I don’t want a little bit, I want too much! It has become our rallying cry to keep a lid on calories. HaHa.
    But yes, I am reading this blog because I think I want something to eat but am not really hungry……I have been feeling the flu/headache and wanting that to be an excuse. I think I will just go drink hot water lemon juice and stevia in a cup.
    Excellent article.
    Lastly, this week I have been logging in all my food and have been surprised that I am making better food choices and staying consistently under my caloric goals. Yay for me! These blogs make me think and that makes me accountable to myself. Thanks, Diane. Great inspiring posts.