How Do You Make Today Different?

Do you ever wake up and swear to yourself that today will be different? Do you promise yourself that today will be the day you will keep your hand out of proverbial cookie jar and quit guzzling sodas? Do you recommit to avoiding chocolate and skipping your traditional drive-thru lunch?

Do you promise today will be different only to find yourself doing exactly what you swore you would not by 10:00 a.m.? That was me.

Make Today Count for Weight Loss

Almost every single day of my obese life I would wake up and swear to myself that today would be that day that would be different. Today would be that day that I would make good choices. Today would be the day that I would eat perfectly and exercise. And almost every single day I would fail.

I would not avoid the cookie jar, I would end up slurping a McDonald’s milkshake at 3:00 in the afternoon, and I would overeat at dinner after I promised myself I would show restraint. And to make the day worse, I would eat half a roll of Nestle Toll House cookies that I baked after the kids went to bed. Fail all the way around.

Cookie Dough is Not Good for Weight Loss

If my day back then looks like yours do now, there is hope.

You can make today be different and start having success that builds upon itself. I found that once I got started making good choices, it was easier to continue those good choices day after day.

Here are some strategies you can use to make today different and to end the day with a feeling of success rather than a feeling of failure.

7 Weight Loss Tips

1. Remind Yourself of Your Intentions Before Your Feet Hit the Ground

Before you even get out of bed, remind yourself that you are going to make good choices and finally get started on the right foot. Keep repeating this to yourself as you get ready for the day. Do not waver at this point.

2. Exercise First Thing

There are many benefits to exercising first thing in the morning. You get it over with so no other activities interfere with your plans later in the day, people who exercise first thing in the morning tend to be more consistent than people who exercise later, and you gain a sense of getting something positive accomplished before most people even get out of bed.

3. Start Your Day With Something Healthy to Eat

I used to start my days with something unhealthy to eat such as brownies, candy, or even a spoonful of ice cream. When you get up, start your day right by having something healthy. It can be a smoothie, oatmeal, cereal, eggs, a salad, or whatever strikes your fancy. Just don’t let it be junky or super high in calories.

4. Plan Your Day

Do not be like I was and just figure out your eating plan as the day went along. Instead, plan your day in terms of your food choices. Think about what you have going on that day and how you will fit eating healthy meals into your day. As you progress, plan your meals ahead of time and prepare lunches the night before.

5. Pause Before You Eat

I often ate on auto-pilot. I’d open the pantry and eat whatever looked good without thinking about it. Before you eat something today, take a few seconds to make sure this is a food that fits within your eating plan. Think first and then eat. It will save you a lot of calories and grief.

6. Beware of Afternoon and Evening Snacking

Even on days when I did well in the morning, I would often trip myself up during the afternoon and evening hours. It wasn’t hunger though, it was boredom, habit, and a desire to reward myself with comfort food.

7. Remind Yourself of Your Long Term Goals

I often reminded myself of why I was saying “No,” to certain foods by revisiting my long term goals. Not only did I want to lose weight, but I also wanted to fit into chairs, stop feeling self conscious because I was the biggest person in the room, buy clothes that did not look like tents, and be able to keep up with my young children.

Wrapping It Up

Today can be different for you but only if you make it so. The power to change and stay changed lies in your hands. Do not throw your hands in the air and give up. Make yourself start fresh and do not give up. Diane

13 thoughts on “How Do You Make Today Different?

1. Natalie says:

I would like to add something to this: Compliment yourself for the things you did right. Don’t finish a day by saying “I failed because I ate four cookies. I am a failure.” Try “I went for a 15 minute walk. That is better than yesterday. I am on my way towards health, one step at a time.” Find something each day you can feel good about (like starting the day with a good breakfast) and remember to compliment yourself for that. Don’t dwell on the bad and tell yourself what a terrible person you are, that won’t help.

• Renee says:

Yes ! I agree… compliments are important. I have lost one pound this week. (Great job Renee!) If I lose one pound every week for a year.. I will be down 50 lbs. AND…. I will have learned (slowly) how to eat this way for the rest of my life. It is not a sprint for me. Getting to the finish line healthy is what is important… and then staying there with lessons I learned along the way. This is the first time I have written, (or spoken aloud) these words..*gulp*… and it is scary. But I am ready. I am finally ready. Yay me! Okay that was self-indulgent… yay to all those who are struggling with me… we can do it!!!

2. Lori says:

I totally agree with Natalie- that is a good point!

My time that I seem to waiver is in the afternoon. In the morning I eat a good breakfast- ALWAYS. I know if eat anything sugary that it will set me up on a roller coaster ride for the day. Sugar begets more sugar! Its the afternoon- around 3 that is my weak spot. I started drinking tea to divert myself. Yesterday I even worked out at that time. Which actually worked out pretty well.

Then if I am triumphant through the afternoon- then evening comes and it is really difficult. I do try and remind myself of my goals but then I say things like screw it. Not all the time but sometimes. My eating stints and falling off the wagon seem to go in waves. I will do real well for a long time, I start feeling better and then something hits me and I am eating when I am not hungry again. For me its generally not what I eat, its eating when I am not hungry. When I am really upset its stuffing. Normally I eat around 1600 calories a day. On those days I probably eat around 2500 calories. Over a period of a couple weeks- that just doesnt go so well.

• Diane Carbonell says:

I can understand this scenario 100 percent! A lot of people struggle with the afternoon and evening times. For me, it was often the times of the day when I was feeling stressed/bored/emotional. Then I’d want to reach for food even though I knew I shouldn’t.

It is a process to be sure. It sounds like you are doing a good job and really thinking through what is and isn’t working for you. Keep up the good work!

3. Nancy B. Kennedy says:

I used to think my mother’s life was so boring, because she ate the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day. She told me that she’d tried all the foods she wanted to in her lifetime and didn’t need to think about food anymore, that she was happy with her cereal, toast, sandwiches and apples. Now I see the wisdom of that approach. In his book, Mindless Eating, Brian Wansink says that we make more than 200 choices about food every day. Every day! If you can cut out some of those choices, you reduce your chance of making bad choices. So… every day I have the same thing for breakfast — wheat toast with Smart Balance and peanut butter — and one of two things for lunch, yogurt or soup. Boring? Yes! But it keeps me from thinking too much about food and helps me maintain my weight loss. My mother was on to something!

• Diane Carbonell says:

This is a perfect example of a time when boring is not bad, but good. I too have very regular breakfast and lunch choices and a good variety of dinner options. It simplifies my life and takes my focus off food.

Thanks for sharing Nancy!

• Sonja says:

Hello, Nancy!

Definitely good and smart approach. I lost last year 26 kg (58 lb) and when I started to maintain my target weight I used the same approach. I ate almost every day the same meals. And from time to time I had a day off.
      With that approach it is easy to maintain the target weight.
      I also agree with Diane that you have to start some day, and better not to wait till the New Year.
      It is also good to be strict at the start at the diet, because you will have a result already in the first, second week and so on and that will give you strong motivation to continue.

Sonja

4. Diana says:

My worst time is after getting home from work. I work 12 hour shifts at a busy hospital. Lots of days, I barely get a chance to eat at work, and lots of times, I find myself grabbing whatever I can. I usually take a home made lunch with me, but there are days when I end up bringing it back home due to no time to eat. By the time I get home, which is just after 7pm, I am hungry. True hunger! If I’m working again the next day, I’m usually heading to bed by 8:30pm….I really don’t want to eat with just an hour to spare before going to bed. Health care workers….lots of us are overweight. I know that no one is at fault but ourselves, but 12 hour shifts are extremely difficult to be healthy with.
    We all have to live with the circumstances that eventually show up from the poor choices we’ve made.

• Sonja says:

Well, Diana

If I can give you some comfort. I recently lost my job. I don’t know if I will work on the field that I worked, although I enjoyed and was my passion for many years. But I will seek for the opportunities.
      It is often that job don’t give us hundred percent satisfaction, but it is good if we find as much satisfaction as we can.
      I was also in stress and I got some weight back. But it is logical that we have to solve problems first and then weight.

Sonja

5. Sagan says:

Good ideas! Checking in throughout the day really can make such a difference – constantly reminding yourself of your intentions, why you’re doing it, and the long-term implications.