Three Little Words That Can Change Your Weight Loss Path

Have you ever heard someone say something that had nothing at all to do with weight loss but you immediately made an association? That happened to me a few weeks ago when I was listening to a talk show on the radio while I was driving in my big 12 passenger van. Although I don’t remember what the overall topic of the program was, I do remember this example that the commentator gave. He said that a technique he used with his clients was to Stop, Continue, and Start.

I immediately thought of a stop light and visualized the colors of red, yellow, and green. Then I thought about how those three words and colors relate to weight loss.

stop continue start

STOP represents those behaviors we need to stop doing because they are detrimental to our health and weight loss.

CONTINUE represents those behaviors we have that are good for our weight loss efforts.

START represents the behaviors we need to start doing to make ourselves healthier and lose weight.

When I was 300+ pounds, there were a lot of unhealthy behaviors I was engaging in that were harmful to my health and were negatively impacting my weight loss efforts. Here’s a small list of behaviors I needed to stop. See if you have any of the same behaviors that are hindering your efforts.

I needed to STOP:

• Going through the drive thru of fast food restaurants every single day
  • Buying candy for myself under the guise of a holiday or family event
  • Eating chocolate with abandon
  • Sitting on the couch as much as possible
  • Setting a bad example for my children
  • Making food for my family that was loaded with fat, calories, and unhealthy ingredients
  • Blaming other people for my weight problem
  • Eating from emotions

I needed to CONTINUE:

• Taking care of my husband, household, and kids
  • Keeping up with appointments and obligations
  • Sustain healthy relationships with family and friends
  • Feeding my family
  • Trying to lose weight

And I needed to START:

• Paying close attention to portion sizes
  • Keeping my calories and fat consumption at a weight loss level
  • Moving my body by getting off the couch and walking
  • Setting a good example for my children
  • Cooking healthier meals
  • Not using the holiday calendar as an excuse to go off my plan
  • Thinking about my future health and wellness

These three phrases really stuck with me and I hope they will with you. I challenge you to make your own list right now and really think about what behaviors you need to stop, what behaviors you need to continue, and what behaviors you need to start including in your weight loss efforts. Being deliberate when it comes to weight loss is important and taking the time to analyze your behavioral patterns can be very beneficial.

This technique can apply to weight loss, to work, to household chores, and weight maintenance. In fact, I really need to sit down and think about how I can improve my efficiency because as you have likely noticed, I’ve been lax on blogging and commenting. I need and want to do better!

Are you up for the challenge? Can you sit down and analyze how you are doing right now? Revisit your list every month and add or subtract behaviors as needed. I see these three words as a check-in opportunity to make certain that the choices that I’m making today are those that will yield a positive impact years from now.   Diane

19 thoughts on “Three Little Words That Can Change Your Weight Loss Path

1. Kerstin says:

Oh, I love this, too! And so timely as well since I am re-focusing on my weight loss efforts after a week of “having fun.” Being deliberate about my weight loss does not come easy to me but when I decided to re-commit to my weight loss goal that is exactly what I was trying to do. And here is something else: when I wrote today’s post I was actually thinking about you because you never prettify or simplify this journey, you just stress the importance of “doing it” and always inspire with your own story and the things you have learned and are still learning. So I was very happy when you left a comment today, Diane, that was a little serendipitous 🙂

2. Judy says:

I get so much from your blogs Diane. Thank you so much for being a constant. Often it is exactly what I need that day or I have someone to share it with who has been struggling in that specific area. I appreciate that many of your blogs call us to action such as this one in making lists. When I write something down it sticks with me better.

3. Farah says:

This is great. It will be hard for me to come up with an honest list as I will have to really dig for my not so obvious detrimental behaviors, but those are the ones that drive me nuts.
    Thank you!

4. Kascade Kat says:

Diane,
    I just stopped in to say that I found your web site today, and I’m so glad I did. I found this post via Google:

I lost 40 lbs in the last year, but I still have about that much to go. In truth, I lost the 40 lbs between last July and February – since then, I’ve been struggling just to maintain. My motivation has been flickering on and off like a light with a short in the wiring.

This was the most helpful thing I read today on how to get back – and keep – my motivation to go the rest of the way.

Thanks!

5. Betty Taylor says:

I really enjoyed this post. I like the concept of stop, continue, start. I have a few things I still need to do in each of the areas. I have gotten my weight off, but sometimes I don’t feel like I am doing my best.

6. Simone says:

Love this Diane! So many of the things you list under STOP are things I am tackling this week. The chocolate addiction….oh my word. I think I train so hard, eat so well, think I can have 2 blocks or 5 or 20 and it won’t hurt, and it has hurt my weight loss efforts!

I am going to sit down and make this list and hopefully post on my own blog this week. Very thought provoking.

7. Teresa says:

Great post, Diane. I like the idea of pulling in the Continue along with the Stop and Start. It reminds us that there are some things that we are already doing right and I need that positive spin.

8. Pingback: Fattie No More
  9. Leslie says:

I love this post. At first I was a little resistant to the idea, but then I read what you had under each category. What I realized is that you weren’t listening to stop totally going through fast food or to never buy chocolate. You were talking about stopping doing it everyday, and then I looked at your continue. I loved how you focused on taking care of your family. My husband just doesn’t think about eating healthy and exercising like I do, but he will do it if I bring it up. So I am just realizing more and more the impact that I can have on my husband. Love this post.

10. Amy says:

Very simple idea but very powerful! And yes, I agree with you – this could be used on many different areas in life!

11. weight loss pill says:

Having read this I believed it was rather informative.
    I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this informative article
    together. I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and posting comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!