You’ve got questions? I may have answers.
Here’s a list of some of the most common questions readers and friends on Instagram and Facebook ask me:
- Why do you have so many kids? The short answer is that we like kids! The longer answer is that after we had the first three kids we decided to let God decide how many children we had. To that end, we have seven living children born between 1990 and 2007 and seven angel babies, including Joshua who was born still at 17 weeks in March of 2010.
- How did you lose weight? I tried for what felt like forever to lose weight. At my highest weight, I was 305 pounds and felt miserable. I decided not to use a diet plan or a “fad diet” but instead cut back on my portions, exercised, and kept my fat intake to a healthy 30%. It worked and I lost 158 pounds in 14 months and have kept it off for over 20 years.
- Homeschooling? We’ve homeschooled since 1997 and have graduated two (almost three) from college. My fourth son, Noah will graduate from high school this May. The other boys are currently in 10th, 7th, and 5th grade. I love it most days. Some days I think I’d like to go back to working full time in an office. 🙂
- How long have you been married? John and I got married on February 7, 1987. You do the math!
- What do you eat to maintain your weight? That varies depending on the day. I don’t follow a low-carb, Keto, or Whole 30 diet. Not that I think those are wrong, it just wasn’t something I could do forever. So I eat a wide variety of foods including lots of vegetables and fruit, a moderate amount of meat, and some bread and even (gasp!) desserts.
- What advice do you have for someone who needs to lose a lot of weight – like more than 50 pounds? My advice is to just start. Don’t wait for a perfect moment. Instead focus on eating the best you can each day. Over time, the weight will come off if you balance calories and activity.
- What kind of car do you drive? You won’t be surprised to hear that I mainly drive a 12 passenger Econoline van that has over 200,000 miles on it. However, I learned to drive a stick shift last summer and I have a 2001 Toyota Celica that I drive around town when it’s just me. It’s old but since no one else in the family can drive a stick, it’s all mine.
- What’s your ideal day? I like to get a lot done. I wake up really early, like at 4:30 or 5:00 a.m., and do some writing, reading my Bible, and exercising. Then it’s onto school for the kids, playing chauffeur, and cooking for everyone. I love it when my married daughters come over with their family and I get to cook for all 12 of us.
- How can I get in touch with you? There’s email, firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook messenger, or IG messages or using the contact form.