Recipe: Favorite Pizza Crust
Summary: This is the crust I make every Friday night for family movie night. It does require some kneading, but that’s good for your arms right? I will frequently prepare a double batch, precook the crusts, and then freeze the extra crusts for another night. You can also use this recipe for calzones.
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water
- 1 T olive oil (I know, I very rarely use oil)
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 t. yeast
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, or in your stand mixer, place the ingredients in the order listed, being careful not to let the yeast, salt and sugar touch each other.
- Mix by hand, or by mixer on low until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn the mixer up to kneading speed, or start kneading by hand until the dough is soft and elastic.
- This takes my mixer about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Place the pefect dough in a mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in a warm place and let rise until doubled, approximately 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll out dough and place on pizza pans.
- You can go ahead and top your pizzas now and then bake them for 12 – 15 minutes, or you can prebake your crust for about 9 minutes, THEN load up your pizzas. That’s what I do.
Either way, I think you will really like this crust. The dough makes enough for two 14″ pizza crusts.
Mixing and Rising Time (duration): 1.5 hours