Recipe: Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins
Summary: These muffins are very satisfying, and something my kids like for a snack! These freeze well and are great for a fast breakfast. You have one of these with a piece of fruit, or a cup of light yogurt and you are good to go!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat free buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
*Make your own fat free buttermilke like this: Put 1 T. of lemon juice into measuring cup, fill cup with needed amount of skim milk. Let sit for 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare muffin pan with paper cups or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg.
- Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture.
- Stir until just moist.
- Fold in raisins.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake for 16-18 minutes
Preparation time (duration): 10 minutes
Cooking time: 16 – 18 minutes
Diet (other): Reduced fat
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)