Recipe: Low Fat Chicken Parmsean
Summary: Great taste and excellent Italian dish
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 lightly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup fat-free Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Flatten to a 1/2-inch thickness using a rolling pin or a small, heavy skillet.
- Place egg whites in a shallow bowl
- Place breadcrumbs and half the Parmesan cheese on a plate and combine.
- Dip each flattened chicken breast first in egg whites, then in the breadcrumb/cheese mixture.
- Place chicken on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake chicken for 15-18 minutes, turning once, until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 180 degrees, about 30 minutes total.
- While chicken is baking, heat low-fat marinara sauce in a small saucepan over a low heat.
- When chicken is cooked, transfer to four plates; spoon sauce over each chicken breast, and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
Suggestion: Serve over whole wheat pasta, or with a good salad or even some steamed veggies!
Cooking time (duration): 20
Diet (other): Reduced fat, High protein
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Italian