Recipe: LOW FAT CARROT CAKE
Notes: This cake isn’t really low in calories, but it is lower in fat. I would make this for company, where I was sure there wasn’t going to be much, if any, left.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13-inch x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Stir with a whisk.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Beat in sugar slowly, followed by the applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until just moist.
- Stir in the pineapple, carrots, raisins and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- For the frosting: Beat cream cheeses together with lemon juice and vanilla. Add in powdered sugar until desired consistency. Spread over cooled cake.
Cooking time (duration): 35-40
Diet (other): Reduced fat
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)