Recipe: BETTER FOR YOU CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
Summary: Okay, these aren’t officially low-fat, but they are better for you than some other chocolate recipes you might make. You can use peppermint extract for a minty flavor, and to make them pretty for the holidays, you could roll them in chocolate sprinkles instead of cocoa powder or powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwavable glass bowl for 1 minute until just melted.
- Stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add cocoa powder and mix until blended. The mixture will be crumbly at first but will come together as a dough.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until the dough is soft and creamy.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls (this is messy!).
- Dip and roll balls into shallow bowls of either sifted confectioner’s sugar or sifted cocoa powder.
- Place truffles on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Chill for at least an hour.
Makes 20 truffles
Cooking time (duration): 20 minutes, plus chilling
Meal type: dessert