Recipe: CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES – BITE SIZED
Summary: These cupcakes are good as a stand alone dessert. You can also dust them with powdered sugar, or make a glaze of 1 c. powdered sugar, 1 T cocoa powder, 1 T skim milk and a dash of vanilla extract.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, strained
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray two 12-cup mini muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and egg together with a hand whisk or wooden spoon.
- Add vanilla extract and applesauce and stir well.
- Gradually add flour and buttermilk alternately, stirring well with each addition, starting and ending with flour.
- Stir until just combined.
- Fill the mini muffin pans 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick placed in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Makes 24 mini chocolate cakes.
Cooking time (duration): 10 – 15 minutes
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)