Recipe: Vegetarian Lasagne
Summary: I’ve been making this since we were married, and everyone loves it. Serves 8 unless you have 5 boys like I do.
- 1 package Morningstar Crumbles (pretend ground beef)
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 T Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t. each salt and pepper
6 lasagne noodles
24 oz. fat free cottage cheese
2 eggs (or egg substitute), lightly beaten
2 T parsley
3 T freshly grated parmsean cheese
Mozzarella cheese layer:
8 oz. reduced fat mozzarella cheese, grated
4 oz. regular mozzarella cheese, grated
- For sauce: Combine crumbles, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic, bay leaves and salt and pepper in large skillet.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- For pasta: Cook according to package directions, omitting any oil, drain and set aside
- For Filling: combine cottage cheese, slightly beaten eggs, parsley, parmsean cheese. Mix until just combined.
Layer as follows in 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Place 3 lasagne noodles in bottom of casserole dish
- Top noodles with 1/2 of cheese filling
- Top cheese filling with 1/2 red sauce
- Top red sauce with half of mozzarella cheese
- Repeat layers, starting with 3 more noodles and ending with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted completely.
Preparation time (duration): 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Diet (other): Reduced fat, High protein
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Italian