Recipe: VEGETARIAN STOCK
Summary: This is a great stock that you can make and freeze into quart bags. The bags don’t take up a lot of room if you freeze them while they are laying down. I often use this in place of chicken stock. I have to confess that I also use dried herbs if I don’t have the fresh.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 large onion 2 stalks celery, including some leaves
- 2 large carrots
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley, you can use dry
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, dry is okay
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts water
- Chop scrubbed vegetables into 1-inch chunks.
- Remember, the greater the surface area, the more quickly vegetables will yield their flavor.
- Heat oil in a soup pot.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain. Discard vegetables.
Other ingredients to consider: mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus (butt ends), corn cobs, fennel (stalks and trimmings), bell peppers, pea pods, chard (stems and leaves), celery root parings, marjoram (stems and leaves), basil, potato parings
Cooking time (duration): 45
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)