Recipe: Minestrone Soup
Summary: Don’t be afraid of the ingredient list. You will have most of these ingredients on hand!
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 (29 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (optional if you don’t like this omit it) 1
- /4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian chicken flavor seasoning, or regular chicken boullion
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces pasta shells or bow ties (optional)
- 2-3 t. garlic
- salt to taste
- In a large 4 to 5 quart saucepan, water and chicken boullion.
- Mix in garlic, onion and carrots.
- Saute the vegetables until just tender; approximately 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, cannellini beans, and kidney beans to the saucepan.
- Fill each can with water, and add the water to the saucepan.
- Mix in green beans and zucchini.
- Sprinkle parsley, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, chicken-style seasoning, garlic and salt and cayenne pepper into the soup; stir well.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- If using, add noodles now.
- Reduce heat to simmer and simmer 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
Cooking time (duration): 45
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)